Saturday, May 22, 2010

Hummingbirds



Do you see that cute hummingbird? I've got about 8 of them in my backyard! I put out a feeder sometime around the first of the month. Sadly, it broke on Mother's Day when I was filling it up. And it was an expensive glass one. I had only had it up for about a week! I really wanted to cry! My daughter was helping me hang it up, and the jar part broke off. At that point, I had 2 or 3 hummingbirds.

The next day, we went to Wal-Mart and I bought a regular plastic one. We came home and mixed up 3 cups of sugar water right away. We hung the feeder and the hummingbirds quickly started to feed. This past Sunday, I filled up the feeder. By Wednesday morning, it was completely empty. I'm pretty sure, we have 8 hummingbirds now. My husband says that there are more. Where did they all come from?

But I'm enjoying them. I like to sit on the couch and watch them through the window. There is an alpha male bird. The rest of the hummingbirds have to distract him to feed. He likes to chase them away. Like the feeder is only for him. I've noticed that the females hide in my lilac bush. Which is almost directly under the feeder. And when that male flies away, they quickly feed. I've also noticed, only 2 birds will eat at once.

Thursday I started some flowers from seeds. I've got lots of flowers in my backyard. But for Mother's Day, my daughter bought me a large package of hummingbird flower seeds. I'm hoping that will help the hummingbirds a little. My husband also bought me a hanging basket with flowers a few weeks ago. They seem to enjoy those.

Do you have hummingbirds around your house? Do you feed them? I'm starting to think that these birds are sending out the message that I'm feeding them. It makes me happy. But I'm wondering if 3 cups of water every 3-4 days is too much. But either way, it's nice to sit and watch the birds feed.

No comments: