Monday, May 10, 2010

Happy Apron Day!

Today is Apron Day. For my youngest daughter and I, it's just an excuse to wear our aprons. In the last few years, my daughter has definitely grown up. She's my baby. The only child my husband and I have together. But she is definitely no child anymore.

I remembered her when I woke up this morning. Because she has this love of aprons. My daughter has been collecting all things apron for the last few years. Today, is one of those days that just make me smile. I can guarantee that she will be wearing her apron today.

For me, aprons remind me of my childhood. My mom made me a white apron when I was just a girl. It was full of ruffles. And white. I remember it being white. I would put my apron on and my handkerchief on my head. Then I would go about cleaning our house. I was the oldest daughter of our family. And I was always cleaning. Not because I was told to. But I enjoyed it.

Over the years, my mom came across my little apron. And it was misplaced again. But the memories are always there. Very fond memories. Now as an adult, aprons have a special place in my heart. When I think about my aprons, I think about taking care of my family. Of cooking for them, and cleaning our home. Aprons symbolize love, family, and togetherness for me. Because when I have my apron on, I'm usually doing something to take care of my family.

My daughter jokes with me, that she can tell how much I love her by looking at my apron. We no longer live in the same place. In fact, she moved away almost 9 years ago. But when she comes home to visit, I enjoy cooking and baking for her. My aprons are usually covered in flour, dish water, and dirt. The dirtier I get, I suppose the more you can see the love for my family.

Don't forget to put on your apron today. Whether it's to go shopping at the fabric store or to bake up a batch of fresh cookies. Here's a poem that I was sent a few years ago.


Mama's Apron

An apron played a big part in mama's life
As common to wear as being a housewife.
She used it to gather eggs at the end of the day
To gather vegetables to can and put away
To feed the family on a rainy day...
She used it to pick up chips
To start a fire in the old wood stove.
To cook the daily bread,
For her main concern was to keep her family fed.
She folded it around her hands
When at the table the blessing was said.
And wore it in the rain to cover her graying head,
She wrapped it around the baby's legs when it was cold
And sometimes used it to wipe his lil' nose.
It was a faithful servant thru sad and lonely years
She even used it to dry away her tears.
When the children were tucked in and their prayers were said...
She laid out a clean one at the foot of her bed.
Their job is over now, they did their best.
Mama and her apron have been laid to rest.
If all is true about Heaven I've been told,
Mama is now weaving an apron of spun gold…
Unknown Author

No comments: